21 May 2015

Making home feel like home

I was recently told about the 'Starter Stories' project by Compass, a company that specializes in helping people find their perfect home.  They wanted to hear about what I did to make our first home in the US feel like home, so I thought I'd 'paint a picture' of what I did....

Last year, I knew it was coming that I would only be able to take a small few things with me when we moved - I had to choose carefully and considerately about what to bring, what to leave, what can I live without, what can I 'just go buy on a very tight budget' when we get there, and most importantly: what can I bring that is going to make home feel like home for each one of us?

When we got to our apartment, I began.


Bunting (a garland/banner/flags).  Makes a big bare wall, warm and inviting.

Kiwiana tea-towels I bought from local gift-shops before we left.

Our favorite blankets.

Artwork (by me) in the lounge, dining room.



Drawings from a friend, stuck on the dining room wall.

My own favorite tea-towels.  Just because!

My son's special toys and special gifts from special people.

A special wedding photo of ours.

Crochet coasters I made last year.

My favorite pillowcase.



So, here are just a few ways I made our little apartment feel like home, thus far.  Some things are 'just stuff' but some things have a lot of sentimental value for us.

I do make new things for my home often and I always share what I'm 'currently-making' on my Instagram account.  I'd love to hear from you if you're stuck with ideas of how to make your home feel like home, just comment below.

Do you have any more ideas on how to make the most of what you have to make home feel like home?



xx






2 comments:

  1. :) Awh! Can't believe LJs pillow made the cut!! I love all the little touches and so many warm cozy blankets and pillows and bunting make a space feel like home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's the personal stuff and touches that make a space special. little things that are representative of our family personality... colours, pictures, layout, handmade items... that makes our space ours. Hope you continue having fun in your personalisation quest!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :)

UA-40155566-1